This instant pot split pea and ham soup makes meal planning a breeze. It’s dairy free and gluten free. Although split peas are technically legumes, they are just a dried version of fresh peas, which I love and have used in recipes before. Check out my Vegan Pea Pesto. I’ve stopped being strict about rules, and just try to stick to what feels good. For me, that is dairy free and low carb. I’ll occasionally have carbs and beans, but meat, fish, fruit, and vegetables, are still what I prefer to have the majority of the time.
I’ve been using the Instant Pot a ton to help with meal planning. I’ve always loved using it for hard boiled eggs, but I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with bone both, meat, stews, and rice. So far, my husband and I love it. At first, releasing the pressure was a little scary, but I wear an oven mitt, when I do to be extra careful, and I haven’t had any issues. I used to love my slow cooker, and it’s been collecting dust in my kitchen since I got this in the mail. So here is another recipe for all my instant pot fanatics (I include myself in that category).
- 1 lbs green split peas
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of chopped ham
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Chop white onion, mince garlic, and cube chopped ham.
- Add onions, garlic, and ham to instant pot with green split peas, bay leaves, thyme, and chicken stock.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Then use the quick release to vent steam.
- Fish out sprigs of thyme and bay leaves.
- Before serving add some fresh ground pepper to taste.