This carrot cumin soup recipe from the Eat Right For Your Sight Cookbook was a delicious and easy one pot meal. I’m a huge fan of blended vegetable soups. They fill you up, and if you watch your weight, are usually little to no calories. I made this soup vegan and left out the Greek yogurt, but the original recipe whisks in 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt at the end. I also used fresh cilantro instead of cumin seeds as a garnish. I’m not the biggest fan of seeds or nuts in my soup, and I like a pop of color, so I usually use some fresh herbs and freshly ground black pepper as my garnish. What’s nice about this recipe is the flexibility. Add or leave out whatever ingredients you like. You should keep the carrots though, especially if you are worried about Macular Degeneration. Carrots contain a ton of Vitamin A, beta-carotene, and minerals.
Each recipe in the cookbook comes with a little bit of information and the nutritional profile of the dish. Not only will you want to make the recipes because they look delicious, but also because of the healthy nutrients each dish contains. To learn more about Macular Degeneration check out the website for the American Macular Degeneration Foundation. There is also a healthy vision blog party to celebrate the release of this cookbook tomorrow, May 14th.
For more details, such as where to get this amazing cookbook, check out this link.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb large carrots, chopped
- 2½ cups of vegetable broth (low sodium)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper for garnish
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and saute the onion for a three minutes, then add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add carrots, broth, cumin, coriander, and sea salt. Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and cover and let simmer for fifteen minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Then transfer soup to a high speed blender, add some fresh lemon juice and puree until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and chopped cilantro.
Recipe from Eat Right For Your Sight: Simple Tasty Recipes That Help Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss from Macular Degeneration, By Jennifer Trainer Thompson and Johanna M. Seddon, copyright © American Macular Degeneration Foundation, 2014. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.