I’ve had an amazing coconut date mousse at Cafe Gratitude and attempted to recreate it at home. Their food is pretty expensive, so I was very pleased that this came out so well. I don’t recommend using a low fat coconut milk. The fat from the coconut milk and the fiber from the dates keeps this from turning into jello, unless that’s what you want.
Paleo and Gluten Free Coconut Date Mousse
- 7 dates (use more or less depending on sweet preferences and size of dates)
- 1 tbsp of gelatin (Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin )
- 1 can of coconut milk (Native Forest unsweetened classic )
- 1/2 cup of water
- Dissolve 1 tbsp of gelatin in water. I like to slowly whisk the gelatin into water with a fork, until it becomes a gel.
- Add gelatin mixture to a pan with coconut milk
- Heat until you see steam start to rise, don't boil or you will ruin the gelatin. This will make sure the gelatin is dissolved.
- Add liquid and dates to blender, taste test and add extra dates if desired.
- Chill in the fridge for 4 to six hours or until firm.
A half hour in the freezer will work for impatient people like me.