I made this salad vegan, but you can easily add some chicken or shrimp to it. I used my Ginger Scallion Dressing, which is also vegan and gluten free. Since there is onion in the salad as well as the dressing, you might want to reduce the amount of red onions you use. I love onions, as you guys know by now. But if you don’t love them like I do, I would reduce the amount by half. I also used romaine hearts, but napa cabbage would be great for this salad as well.
I think this is a really great base salad to get creative with, depending on what produce you find. I can see myself adding avocados, radishes, and even broccoli sprouts to it. Actually that sounds good on it’s own. Maybe I’ll make that soon.
- 3 romaine hearts
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1.5 cups of finely shredded carrots (2 large carrots)
- ¼ sliced almonds
- garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Chop the romaine hearts, and shred carrots in food processor. Add to large bowl.
- With a mandolin, finely shred red onion, and add to bowl.
- Mix in sliced almonds, then add desired amount of ginger scallion dressing
- Mix ingredients before garnishing with additional sliced almonds and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.