Sunday, January 26, 2014
Grain Free Breakfast Taco Pie
I experimented with an egg free crust, but that will not be happening again. When I make this again, which I will because it tasted awesome, I will use my favorite paleo pie recipe from Elana's Pantry. I love recipes with a small ingredient list and hers only contains almond flour, sea salt, coconut oil, and egg. We served this with mango salsa Shameer picked up at whole foods, while I started cooking. They make it there fresh so it saves me some effort, plus the dish is heavy and needs something fresh and sweet to balance it out.
Grain Free Breakfast Taco Pie Filling
3/4 lb of grass fed ground beef
3 tbsp of taco seasoning (I used Frontier Chili Powder Blend)
1/2 white onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1 tsp of sea salt
8 local grass fed eggs
a handful of fresh cilantro
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp baking soda
1. Cook ground beef in coconut oil, when brown add taco seasoning, add sea salt to taste. Transfer out of juices and set aside.
2. In same pan, saute chopped white onion and bell pepper with leftover ground beef juices, then remove from liquid and set aside.
3. Whisk eight eggs with 1 tsp of sea salt and baking soda. Add in some fresh chopped cilantro.
4. Chop fresh cilantro and mix into white onion and bell pepper mix.
4. After spreading out paleo pie crust, add ground beef to bottom of uncooked pie.
5. Then add veggie mix to top, then cover with egg mixture.
6. Cook at 350 degrees fairenheight for 45 minutes.
7. (Optional) serve with mango salsa.