This easy vegan chocolate ice cream is made with only three ingredients – full fat coconut milk, cacao powder, and dates. The fiber from the dates and the fat from the coconut milk give this ice cream a rich and smooth creamy consistency. When it came out of the ice cream maker is looked and tasted exactly like chocolate soft serve. I kept it frozen over night to get the nice round scoops, but if you love soft serve, why wait?
For healthy toppings, I added some chopped pecans, which I consider a “dessert nut” and some in season raspberries. However, the sky is the limit and you can easily get creative and throw on whatever you like.
- 3 cups of full fat coconut milk
- 18 medjool dates (12 oz)
- ⅓ cup of cacao powder
- (optional) a handful of fresh raspberries
- (optional) a handful of chopped pecans
- Blend coconut milk, dates, and cacao powder in Vitamix.
- Chill mixture for at least one hour.
- Take out frozen freezer bowl. This should be stored in your freezer.
- Assemble ice cream maker according to instructions.
- Turn on ice cream maker and pour in mixture slowly.
- Turn on for 20 minutes for soft serve.
- (optional) Transfer to a freezer friendly container, when finished and let harden.
- (optional) Add toppings such as raspberries and chopped pecans