This recipe was adapted from my mom’s favorite brisket recipe, which she got from a friend. It would taste great served with my mashed rosemary and garlic cauliflower
. I made the cinnamon and apple optional. I’ve had it with and without those ingredients, and it tasted great either way. The apple and cinnamon are great fall flavors, but the orange juice and onions are the real stars. They give this dish a tangy, sweet and sour taste that I personally love.
Original Recipe (that I adapted)
2 lb brisket
1pk Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c applesauce
1 cup orange juice
1. Brown Brisket on both sides.
2. Cover and cook on stove for 3 to 4 hours.I ‘m not sure how crockpot would convert over. Just make sure you have enough liquid. You will have to adjust ingredients.
Slow Cooked Orange and Onion Brisket
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5-2 cups of orange juice
- 2 medium sized yellow onions
- 2 lbs beef brisket
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tsp of saigon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 small fuji apple (optional)
- Put brisket on bottom of slow cooker.
- Then add in ingredients.
- Set slow cooker on high for an hour, just to get the heat going.
- Then convert slow cooker to low to 7-8 hours.
- Add more sea salt or black pepper to taste.