For Christmas, we usually make this Thumb Print Cookie Recipe – from Favorite Recipes From Our Best Cook by Josephine Quagliana. This is an old cookbook from Nonny, my Italian grandmother, who gave this cookbook to my mother. My mom and I use this cookbook every year to make Christmas cookies. My mom and I decided to make an adapted version of this recipe that is gluten and dairy free.
Original Thumb Print Cookie Recipe:
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp baking powder
2 c. flour
3 tbsp milk
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups chopped walnuts
Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in egg. Mix in salt, baking powder, vanilla and flour. Add 3 tablespoons of milk to dough. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in finely chopped nuts. Depress center with thumb. Bake on greased baking sheet at 350 degrees 8-10 minutes. Remove to cool. Depress center again. Fill with jam or jelly.
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Chop walnuts in food processor.
- Mix coconut oil and coconut sugar with hand blender.
- Mix in sea salt, baking powder, vanilla extract and almond flour.
- Roll them in chopped walnuts, put on cookie sheet and add thumbprint.
- Refrigerate at least a half hour.
- Bake at 350 in a convention oven for 10 minutes.
- Move to cooling rack, redo thumbprint, and then fill with your choice of jelly. Our family always uses seedless strawberry jelly.